The best way to overcome self-doubt is by making and keeping promises to yourself.
How Do We Teach If We Don’t Know?
“How can we teach our kids their self-worth? And by kids- it seems like my adult kids are the ones that struggle with it the most. And how can they know that they don’t need to try to prove their worth to others around them? And why am I still trying to learn these same lessons?”
This was a text I got from a good friend not too long ago.
It speaks to me.
Not Just About the Kids
It’s not just about our kids and how they feel about themselves. It’s about us too!!
There are so many “self-help” guru’s out there trying to help us with this.
If I hear one more thing about Self-Care I may scream!! I’m not anti-self-care, I just don’t think we’re going about it in the right way.
I don’t care how many times I get my nails done, I don’t feel any more worthy at my core.
But I Have Found Something That Does
I thought about it for a while.
I’ve struggled with how I feel about myself my whole life. I don’t remember a time when I felt confident in who I was and what I had to offer.
Who In the Heck Is Ed Mylett?
This is how I replied to my friend:
“I’ve found some growth in this by making and then keeping promises to myself. Keeping those promises makes me feel proud of myself. I’m not proving to others that I can do it, just me. I’m tired of letting myself down all the time and only doing what I say I’ll do for others.”
I learned this from Ed Mylett.
I’m just as surprised as you are. If you don’t know who he is, I suggest you look him up.
He comes across as this burley tough guy, body builder, a rich dude that has all the “man toys” you can imagine. He’s more than that. He has the biggest heart! He has taught me some great things.
Here are a few:
- You don’t overcome doubt. You build something bigger than your doubt.
- The adversary’s biggest tool against you is to get you discouraged and doubting.
- Doubts are not your thoughts. You weren’t born doubting, discouraged or negative. You were born believing you were going to do something great with your life. Doubts were given to you by an external source at one point in your life.
- Building self-confidence is very easy. Self-confidence is self-trust. Self-confidence is building a reputation with yourself. You keep your word to YOU! You keep the promises you make to yourself. I do the things I say I’m going to do!
- Self-Confidence is an INTERNAL game. You do not need EXTERNAL accolades. You control this by beginning to make and keep promises to yourself and acknowledging when you do it!
Listen to some of his stuff here. I like his solo talks the best.
It’s Not Hard to Start
This is actually a pretty easy thing to do.
What is something you want to do? Doesn’t have to be big.
Decide that you’re going to do it. Now do it!
Make a promise to yourself and keep it. Just like you would never let down your best friend, don’t let yourself down!
If it helps, write your promise in the comments below, or privately send me a DM over on Instagram.
Be Accountable to YOU
Most importantly, be accountable to yourself. Keep your promise!
I can’t even begin to tell you the difference I feel about myself.
I am worthy of it.
So. Are. You.
I love you! Now, go show yourself some love.
THAT’S SELF-CARE FRIENDS!!